Dinner time in our home has become a moment of high anxiety for me as of late. My 2 and a half year old daughter, being a picky eater, and my 6 month old, having just started solids, has created a less than desirable meal planning situation; that is until my very good friend, neighbor and personal mama hero Irina shined some light upon my situation and gifted me with a very useful, very practical, very efficient way to prepare meals in advance for my little man.
At the height of my frustration, I went to Irina, a mother of two little boys and a goddess in the kitchen. She said to me, “Angela, I’m going to tell you what I personally did. And it will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. It’ll take a couple of hours of prep, but then you are set for a month!”
I listened very intently. It would soon become my saving grace. Here is what she told me.
- Heat 3 pots on the stove with equal parts water
- Fill each pot with chopped vegetables (i.e. carrots, celery, broccoli, sweet potato, beets, parsnips and any other vegetable of your choice) and boil
- While that cooks, take some ground beef, chicken, turkey or liver (or if you have a grinder, you can grind it yourself) and mix with finely chopped or blended onion, garlic, bell peppers, tomato, cilantro and parsley
- Take the mixture and roll into meatballs (Mine look a little mushy… I blended too much. Don’t make my mistake!)
- Place meatballs into the veggie pots (one kind of meat per pot), and cook
- Take cooked mixture and purée in a blender
- Add pureed mixture to ice cube trays or silicone trays for freezing
- I had a lot of excess purée waiting to be frozen so I temporarily placed it into mason jars and once the freezing tray became available, I filled it again
Simply pop out the frozen purée cubes and place them in labeled and dated ziplock bags and store in the freezer.
E voila!!!!!!! I’m set for at LEAST a month!!!!
Your baby can eat it as is, or you can add quinoa, rice or little baby pasta like stars or orzo.
Now my little man will have wholesome, nutritious meals, prepared at home by his mama❤️, STRESS-FREE!